Eight shots, including two men, were killed at a party with hundreds of attendees in Memphis Park, police say

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Eight people were shot, including two men who were killed Saturday evening at an unsanctioned public party in a Memphis city park, police said.

Officers responded to a reported shooting at 7:19 p.m., Memphis Police Chief Cerelyn Davis said at a news conference at the scene.

Two men were pronounced dead at the scene, Davis said.

The six surviving victims were transported to area hospitals and one was in critical condition at Regional One Health in Memphis, police said.

The shooting occurred at a block party in Orange Mound Park, which Davis said had an estimated 200 to 300 attendees, but no city permit appeared to have been issued.

At least two people are believed to have fired weapons during the shooting and police have examined video footage as part of the ongoing investigation, Davis said. No immediate arrests were made.

“In light of recent events, we stand together to denounce these senseless acts of violence,” Davis said.

Memphis police initially reported that 16 people had been shot, but revised the number in a social media post, noting that the error appeared to be due to “several victims being reported multiple times.”